- This assignment must be all your own group’s work. It is acceptable to discuss course content with other groups to improve your understanding and clarify requirements, but solutions to assignment questions must be done by your own group.
- You must not copy from anyone, including tutors and fellow students, nor allow others to copy your work.
- All Assignments will be checked using collusion monitoring tools to ensure that each assignment is the original work of the submitting student. Assignments that do not adhere to this requirement will be deemed as being the result of collusion or plagiarism. This may lead to severe academic penalties as outlined in USQ Policy Library: Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure. It is your own responsibility to ensure the integrity of your work. Refer to the USQ Policy Library for more details:
- This assignment is quite complex, and exposes you to many different components in Microsoft Word (any version from Word 2007 to current), some or all of which might be very unfamiliar to you. The assignment description provides some explanation of how to use these components, but you are also expected to use available resources such as Online Help, the Practical Skills sections at the end of each Module in the Study Materials, and the course discussion forums, as well as exploring and experimenting on your own.
- Students are encouraged to work in teams to complete the assignment as teamwork is an important skill required by industry. You may choose to work alone.
- If you opt to work as a team:
- The same marks will be awarded to both students.
- No team can exceed more than two students.
- It is up to you to find a team-mate and this can usually be achieved through a request on the Study Desk.
- Only one team member should submit the assignment.
- You must provide the student names and student numbers of both team members on the title page of the report.
- All students MUST email the Course Examiner by the 15th September 2017 the following information. If no email is received it will be assumed that you are working on Assignment 2 by yourself.
- Please use the following email template and ensure you cc the email also to your teammate:
Subject: CIS5100 S2 2017 Assignment 2
Dear Course Team,I have been working [individually / in a team] on CIS5100 Assignment 2 and [I / we] will be submitting the Assignment [by myself / as a team of two students]:
- [Enter Student Full Name] [Enter Student ID] [Enter Campus]
- [Enter Student Full Name] [Enter Student ID] [Enter Campus]
Late submission policy
- USQ’s Assessment – Assignment (Late Submission) and Compassionate and Compelling Circumstances procedures relate to Extensions and Late Assignments. They can be found under the following links:
- An Assignment submitted after the due date without an approved extension of time will be penalised. The penalty for late submission is a reduction by five percent (5%) of the maximum mark applicable for the assignment, for each University Business Day or part Business Day that the assignment is late. An assignment submitted more than ten (10) University Business Days after the due date will have a mark of ZERO recorded for that Assignment.
- References are required and the Harvard AGPS standard of referencing must be used. Ensure that your essay is fully referenced, including any references to the text book. Your essay should include in-text references and a List of References. A useful link on referencing is from USQ’s Library site:
- Do not repeat verbatim large slabs of information from other sources such as the text or video – you must put the ideas/information in your own words.
|ASSIGNMENT 2 REQUIREMENTS|
Applicable course objective:
- critically analyse business requirements from an information systems perspective
- critique information systems concepts to identify and resolve problems within a business context
- identify the appropriate information systems to develop practical solutions within a business context
- communicate information systems concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences within a business context.
Applicable graduate qualities and skills gained from this assessment instrument:
- Problem Solving (Skill U2)
- Written & Oral Communication (Skill U4)
- DC Entertainment, Justice League – We Can Be Heroes.
- Mrs Quinn Hippolyta, your manager, has set up the following tasks for you to complete this project:
- Task 1: Personal Research Journal
- Task 2: Case Study Report
- Task 3: PowerPoint Presentation to Client
Refer to the marking criteria for details of mark allocations.
- All Tasks in this project must be developed with professionalism and user-friendliness in mind.
Task 1: Personal Research Journal (max. 500 words) 10%
Prepare a journal that records your activities and progress related to completing this assignment. In date order, clearly list the following:
- Date of research activity/discussion
- Full description of research activity / discussion (at least 25 words)
- List of all appropriate web sites visited to collect information; other references accessed (using Harvard AGPS Referencing style – submitted separate to the List of References in Task 2).
- Time duration of the activity
If you are working in a team, clearly state the activities of each team member.
Submit this journal as an appendix to Task 2 (after the List of References and include in the Table of Contents).
Any references to web pages and online documents, such as white papers, should be listed at the end of the journal.
Task 2: Case Study Report (max. 4,500 words) 80%
Report Structure and Presentation 5%
Your report should include a professional title page, computer generated Table of Contents (including List of Tables and List of Figures) and Appendices.
Note: Make sure to state the names of all students involved in the report on the title page.
Report Letter of Transmittal, Executive Summary and Introduction 5%
Your report should include a letter of transmittal, executive summary, and introduction to the report.
Report Section 1 – Business Strategy 10%
What Information Technology Strategies should Dr Moulton Marston consider to obtain / retain competitive advantage in their marketspace?
- Using Porter’s Five Forces Model, discuss how each of the five forces relates to Dr Moulton Marston’s business. Justify your answer.
- What should be the business’s focus? Discuss what the business’s focus is in relation to Porter’s Three Generic Strategies. Justify your answer.
- What are the benefits to the business of Supply Chain Management and what are the types of metrics the business should be using to measure the performance of their Supply Chain Management? Justify your answer.
- Discuss what are the Upstream and Downstream steps involved in the business’s Supply Chain Management. Justify your answer.
Include a diagram of the business’s current Supply Chain based on the information you have from Assignment 1 and 2.
Report Section 2 – Enterprise Resource Planning 10%
What would be the benefits to Dr Moulton Marston of implementing an enterprise resource planning system?
- Differentiate between a database management system and an enterprise resource planning system. Why would an enterprise resource planning system be more beneficial to the business than a series of database management systems? Justify your answer.
- What are the core enterprise resource planning system components? Which core components should the business utilise? Justify your answer.
- What are the extended enterprise resource planning system components? Which extended components should the business utilise? Justify your answer.
- What are the considerations that the business should make when choosing enterprise resource planning software? Justify your answer.
(Use Baltzan et al Chapter 9 Section 1 – Enterprise Information Systems: ERP to assist you in answering this topic)
Report Section 3 – Customer Relationship Management 10%
What would be the benefits to Dr Moulton Marston of implementing a customer relationship management system?
- How could the business support its customer facing day-to-day operations through the use of an operational customer relationship management system for marketing? Justify your answer.
- How could the business support its customer facing day-to-day operations through the use of an operational customer relationship management system for sales? Justify your answer.
- How could the business support its customer facing day-to-day operations through the use of an operational customer relationship management system for customer service? Justify your answer.
- In what different ways could Dr Moulton Marston use metrics from the business’s customer relationship management systems to track and monitor performance for sales, service and marketing. Justify your answer.
(Use Baltzan et al Chapter 10 Section 2 –Enterprise Information Systems: Collaboration Systems to assist you in answering this topic)
Report Section 4 – Social Media 10%
What issues should Dr Moulton Marston be aware of when embarking on a social media presence?
- Outline to Dr Moulton Marston why the business should also be considering using Social Media as an avenue for communicating with their customers and promoting their brand. Justify your answer.
- Review and critique, including providing screen captures for each, the social media presences of three (3) other businesses that sell similar products to Dr Moulton Marston’s business.
- How should the business manage their social media presence? Justify your answer.
- Develop a draft Social Media Policy for the business that they can implement if they were to embark on a social media strategy.
(Use Baltzan et al Chapter 11 Section 2 – Social Media to assist you in answering this topic)
Report: Conclusions and Recommendations to the Business 10%
Your report should include separate conclusions and recommendations sections.
- Conclusions provide a summary of your key findings from the body of the report.
- Recommendations provide a summary of the recommendations to the business based on the research conducted in the report.
Report: Referencing and Appropriateness of Sources 20%
References are required and the Harvard AGPS standard of referencing must be used. This standard is detailed on USQ Library Site
Ensure that your reports are fully referenced, including any reference to the text book. Your report should include in-text references and a List of References.
Do not repeat verbatim large slabs of information from other sources such as the text – you must put the ideas/information in your own words.
You must use at least ten (10) academically sound sources other than the textbook in completing this report.
- You are expected to have access to the Baltzan et al 3rd Edition textbook as your starting point to answering all the above questions – use of Google search in place of the textbook may result in lower or failing marks.
- Note: the word count does not include letter of transmittal, executive summary, references or appendices.
Task 3: PowerPoint Presentation to Client (max. 25 slides) 10%
Mrs Quinn Hippolyta has asked you to provide a professionally developed business presentation to the client, Dr Moulton Marston, outlining the project scope, key findings and key recommendations from the Case Study Report. Create a Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation (using PowerPoint 2007 to current) and name it
Make sure that your professional developed business presentation is prepared so that it conforms to the course StudyDesk presentation resources. These resources include, but are not limited to the Practical Appendixes found on the Study Schedule and Module Materials and various videos.
The professional business presentations set of slides should be structured as follows:
- Title – outlining the full Business Name, Project Description, Student Name and Student ID.
- List of Topics
- Presentation Content – the following are the topics the presentation must answer:
- Outline the Scope of the Report
- List and discuss the Key Findings from the Report
- List and discuss the Recommendations from the Report
- Each slide must include detailed speaker notes provided in the notes section of the slide – the detailed speaker notes must provide a full answer to each of the following questions and be written so that another person could present this presentation on your behalf to the client.
- DO NOT PROVIDE THIS AS AN AUDIO RECORDING
- Summary of Presentation
- Note: It is expected that you will use the Baltzan et al and Beskeen et al textbooks to answer the topics Mrs Quinn Hippolyta has given you for the presentation, as well as reputable online sources of information. You need to include a brief Bibliography formatted using the Harvard AGPS style on a separate page (see the following USQ website for referencing help:
Attach the Microsoft Word files (using any version from Word 2007 to current) and Microsoft PowerPoint files (using any version from PowerPoint 2007 to current) using the naming convention below, to your online assignment submission in the Assignment 2 area on the CIS5100 StudyDesk before midnight Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) on the day the assignment is due.
Upon completion of the submission process, check your uConnect email account for an automatically generated confirmation email (if you do not have an email account, print out the Submission Complete screen before exiting the Submission System). You must check that the file name and file size are listed correctly – if there is a problem with either, please email the course leader immediately.
If you have difficulties submitting through the StudyDesk Assignments submission tool, please review the Student Instructions document listed also on the CIS5100 StudyDesk. As a last resort only, email the course leader for instructions on an alternative course of action.